You’ve checked out your make-up bag and are happy in the knowledge that you’ve eventually found just the right foundation, your concealer works as it should and you’ve got the perfect lipstick for every occasion. But one product is missing – that all-important but often forgotten lip gloss.
If you don’t want your lips looking dull and dry then you need the right lip product. For that luscious, supple look you need to choose something that suits you personally. Maybe you are looking for something that lasts whatever you do or maybe something that accentuates your personality. Whatever you choose it’s a product that will give the perfect touch to your almost perfect make-up.
With such a variety of products on the market you’ll be spoilt for choice. Are you looking for a matte lip gloss with bold colors that give you a striking look? Or do you prefer to look natural and just need your lip gloss to give your lips a natural shine?
Table of Contents
Our Top 5 Recommendations
Where do you start to look with so many products on offer? Naturally you don’t want to purchase a product only to regret it when you try it out at home.
To help you make a decision we have complied a list of our 5 favorite products that offer quality at a fair price.
1. Maybelline New York Color Sensational High Shine Gloss
You’ll be amazed at how much color this drug store shiny lip gloss offers. Instead of being made of wax it is made of natural ingredients such as honey nectar. This honey nectar helps to moisturize your lips.
As it is made of natural ingredients it is a suitable product for allergy sufferers. There’s no fear of your lips being irritated by it.
Application is simple due to its creamy texture. Although it has a fragrance, it is a subtle one that is not unpleasant to wear.
It’s the ideal product to accentuate your lips whether you wear it alone or on top of lipstick. As a drug store product, it’s at a price you can afford and it will make you look beautiful.
- Its bold color will accentuate your lips
- Its comfortable to wear due to its smoothness
- It helps moisturize your lips
- It’s not really long lasting enough
- If you’re looking for something more subtle, the pigmentation of this product could be too strong
2. Rimmel Oh My Lip Gloss, Crystal Clear
If you’re looking to accentuate your lipstick by giving it a shine then this is the option for you. It guarantees to last for six hours so it just the right product for the woman who doesn’t want to be caught not looking her best. It’s smooth and soft to apply and gives your lips that luscious look that is so attractive.
It can be worn alone or on top of lipstick – whichever way you use it, its thick texture will be effective. Not only that, but it’s also flavored. If you like a soft vanilla flavor you don’t need to look any further. It also has a slight fragrance, but one that isn’t overpowering. Should you just want your lips to look good without looking made up then the clear consistency of this product is just right. As it’s non-sticky, it is a product that you can wear every day.
- No need for continuous reapplication as it’s a long-lasting product
- It will leave your lips looking naturally soft
- It’s convenient to use every day because it is designed with a non-sticky texture
- The fragrance is not for everybody
- If you forget to close it, it will dry out quickly
3. Sephora Cream Lip Stain
This is a real favorite as it is rich in pigmentation and also moisturizes your lips. Your lips will feel smooth and soft as the Sephora Lip Stain is made with avocado oil. This not only makes your lips feel good, but it also makes them look good.
Application is simple due to its creamy texture. It magically dries into a shiny stain that looks sensual. Because it is high in pigmentation there is no need to apply lipstick first. But if you are looking to give your lips a fuller effect you can apply your favorite lipstick before applying this lip plumping lip gloss.
It’s an ideal product if you are aiming to look your best, maybe for a photo shoot, as it has a really bold color. It is easy to apply so although it doesn’t last long reapplying is no problem. It’s a good quality product that will give you the result you are looking for so it’s definitely worth paying that little extra.
- Its colors are really bold so are just right if you want to make a statement
- You’ll get better results due to the high level of pigmentation
- Your lips will feel completely natural, supple and soft
- It needs regular reapplication as it doesn’t last long
- It’s not cheap, but it is value for money as the colors are so intense
4. Benefit Ultra Plush Lip Gloss
If you are looking for something with a soft hue that you can wear every day, then the Benefit gloss could be just the thing for you. Your lips will be accentuated due to the shiny soft texture of the product. It’s the best lip gloss if you spend many hours at work or for those extra-long work related events. As it’s long lasting there is no need to reapply continuously during the day.
You’re bound to find just the color you want from the choice of six colors and as it’s non-sticky it’s easy to apply. You may need to reapply it at some time during the day but this is no problem. It won’t make your lips feel sticky or heavy.
You’ll find that it gives you just the right amount of shine and color without looking as though you’ve overdone it.
- It feels natural due to its soft light texture
- Your lips will look much fuller and more beautiful
- It’s flexible color wise as you have a choice of 6 different colors to choose from
- Other products are more highly pigmented than the Ultra Plus gloss
- The fragrance is rather strong so could be too overpowering for some
5. Estee Lauder Pure Color High Intensity Lip Lacquer
The Estee Lauder Lip Lacquer is a must if you are looking for a product that is rich in color and has a shine. No need for any extra lip products when you use this as its glossy look and rich color are quite enough on their own. It will give your lips a fuller look and, as it is rich in pigmentation, there is no need to use when applying.
The texture of it ensures that the color is rich. What’s more, unlike many lip lacquers, it’s a non-sticky lip gloss so it’s smooth and comfortable to wear. Application is simple and it even moisturizes your lips.
This is the best long lasting lip gloss so is a definite must for your make-up kit. The color lasts longer than the shine. But don’t worry! The shine also lasts for a good many hours.
- It offers a superb impact with its bold rich color
- Easy to apply, even when you are in a rush, due to its creamy texture
- Your lips will stay healthy as it also moisturizes them
- No need for continuous re-application as it is long lasting
- It’s not cheap, but it’s definitely value for money
- If you don’t like fragrances, its fragrance might put you off
When Should You Use Lip Gloss
Can you remember the first make-up product you ever bought? How old were you then? You were possibly around 12 years of age and bought a lip gloss as you could sneak it on without your mother knowing you were wearing make-up!
If you still think that lip gloss is for 12 year olds then think again.
You’ve probably found the perfect lipstick that is just the right color, texture and goes on smoothly. But does it give you that extra ‘oomph’ that draws attention to your lips? It probably doesn’t. If that’s the case you definitely need to consider buying a lip gloss.
Wearing the right lip gloss will give your lips that extra something that makes them look more attractive and kissable.
Which One Is For You?
Not every product will the right one for you so be sure to determine exactly what you are looking for before going on that shopping spree. Ask yourself the following questions before making a decision.
- Are you looking for a color that is bold and eye-catching? You’ll need a lip gloss that has a high pigmentation if you want to be able to wear it either with or without lipstick.
- Do you want your lips to be subtly accentuated? You may not want your lips to be accentuated when you go out shopping. You just want them to look good without drawing too much attention to them. You won’t look overdressed if you wear a natural or clear lip gloss. These will just make your lips shine naturally.
- Do you need something that is long lasting? For wearing when running errands this may not be important to you. But if you’re working long hours or have to attend special events you’ll want to look good all day without having to worry about reapplying your lip gloss.
- Which color suits you best? There are many brands that offer a large range of colors. Be sure to take enough time in choosing the color that matches your skin tone. With a summer tan, you’ll need a different color than when your skin is more sallow looking in winter. It’s often just a matter of trial and error; some colors will look great on you while others will do nothing for you.
- What effect are you aiming for your lips? If your lips are naturally thin you probably want a fuller look. Then you’ll need to look for a gloss that contains collagen. But beware, products containing collagen feel heavier on your lips.
- Do you have a problem with fragrances in your make up? Sometimes childhood memories are awoken when we smell certain fragrances. As most lip glosses contain some amount of fragrance be careful to avoid those that you know will awaken memories that you want to forget.
- What protection do your lips need? This is something that many women forget about. Your lips need as much protection as your skin so look for a product that will moisturize your lips or one that has SPF. You’ll be guaranteed lips that look luscious and healthy.
- What is the most that you want to spend on a product? As with all products lip glosses come in a variety of prices. Often the pricier the product the longer it promises to last and it also offers higher pigmentation. If this is what you need then it’s time to take a look at your budget and possibly allocate more for your lip gloss that you intended to.
Our 5 favorite products listed above all offer you quality, but there is a range in function and price. Should you be looking for a subtle product that you can wear while running errands or a product that is completely bold there is something there for you.
Don’t forget to consider what is right for you. If you’re looking for a color that is subtle then you should choose the Benefit Ultra Plush Gloss. For looking bolder and more beautiful you should choose the Estee Lauder Pure Color High Intensity Lacquer. Maybe you’re looking for something that will give your lipstick a shine. Then your choice should be the Rimmel Oh My Gloss, Crystal Clear.
If you really have to keep to your budget then try the drug store option Maybelline New York Color Sensational High Shine Gloss. It functions well while being completely affordable. For those with dry lips why not try the Sephora Cream Stain. This is just right to make your lips soft and subtle.
Whatever your choice we hope you will be happy with it!