Makeup does a lot of wonders to the way we feel and look. Whether you’re going for simple or full glam look, it is important to know the right ways to apply makeup to look younger so you could look your best at any given time. With the right kind of makeup, you will be able to look great at any age – be it 40, 50 or 60.
To be clear, makeup will not reverse aging. However, the right techniques and products can really make you look naturally youthful. The little details in your makeup routine can add or subtract years from your face.
If you are still doing the same makeup routine for the past 20 years, it’s time to make adjustments and know the right ways to make your face look younger.
Here are 13 of our best makeup tips to look younger.
- Go Lightweight. Women 40 and up, tend to use medium to full coverage foundation thinking that this will amply conceal lines and age marks. However, aging skin needs less coverage than what most women think.
The key to looking younger is to hide the flaws without looking like you put a mask on.
Creases and fine lines get magnified when the makeup base used is too thick for your skin type. Enhance your natural features better by applying sheer foundation.
- Cover your Dark Circles. Never leave home without doing this even if you are going with barely there makeup.Draw an inverted triangle right below your eyes all the way to the top part of your cheekbones to conceal the dark circles under your eyes.
Do not leave out the inner corner of your eyes. This will instantly perk up your aura as you will look fresh and well rested.
- Spot Conceal. Hide dark spots, blemishes and zits by applying concealer using a tiny brush similar to lip brushes. You do not have to smother your entire face with concealer
Apply opaque concealed only on spots you need cover. It is important to choose a concealer shade that blends perfectly with your skin tone.
- Add a Little More Color to Your Makeup Palette. Do not play it safe all the time by sticking to neutral shades. Try to add different hues that match your skin tone to brighten up your face. Make sure to balance of hues on your face.
- Use Foundation with Gold Tones if You are Over 50. The best way to counter greyish pallor and balance redness on the skin is to use a makeup base that has gold specks in it. This will help create a more natural glow from within look.
- Go Easy on the Powder. Skin tends to look drier when you apply too much powder. Focus on your T-zone only and go for lightweight powder makeup to avoid caking and lessen the appearance of lines.
It’s best to apply powder makeup with a powder puff or dome brush. Make sure to moisturize well to allow makeup to cling better to your skin. If you have really dry skin it’s best to switch to cream based makeup.
- The Right Kind of Blush. The wrong shade of blush can pile up more years to your face. The best way to look younger is to switch to soft peach blush if you have fair to medium skin tone and coral blush if your skin tone is medium to dark.
Aim for a “glow from within” look to create a youthful vibe. Take note: Too pale defeats the purpose of applying blush while too much blush will bring you closer to circus vibes.
Apply the blush with a swirling motion on the top of your cheekbones – slightly above your apples. This will instantly lift your cheeks.
- Brighten Up with Highlighter. Young skin is naturally luminous. Fake that glow by using highlighter to illuminate dull complexion and bring out a youthful looking face.
Strobe cream highlighter on the bridge of your nose, peak of your cheekbones, Cupid’s bow and inner corners of your eyes.
- Groom Your Brows. You will look younger with full, feathery brows instead of brows arched to the heavens or tweezed to oblivion.
If you still have thick brows, groom them well and go easy on waxing, threading or tweeting. Use a brow wax or clear/tinted brow gel to set them in place.
If you have gaps, use fine-tipped brow pencil to fill in the gaps. Aim for softer and natural looking brows.
- Less is More. When it comes to eye makeup for mature women, the rule of thumb is “less is more”. Aging eyes will be magnified by too intense eye shadow matched with thick black eyeliner.
Stick to neutral shades during daytime and sweep a darker hue on the crease to add definition for nighttime makeup. Smudged eyeliner in shades of brown will have a better effect on your eyes.
Don’t forget to prime your lids so the eye shadow will blend better.
- Line Your Eyelids with Waterproof Eyeliner. Open up your eyes by thinly lining your upper lash line with black eyeliner. Lids tend to droop as women age and lining your inner rims will make your eye area look awake.
Don’t apply liner to your lower lash line so that your eyes won’t look too harsh. If your eyes are small, stop the line just right before you hit the inset.
Lining it from the outer corner all the way to the inner corner can make your eyes appear smaller.
- Make Your Lashes Flutter. Define your eyes better with fluttering lashes. Curl your lashes, apply primer to separate your lashes and then apply two coats of mascara from root to tip.
You may skip coating your bottom lashes with mascara for a more natural look. There are plenty of mascaras that magically add length and volume to lashes so make sure to get one of those.
If you have short lashes, avoid volumizing mascaras so your lashes won’t appear stubby.
- Choose Lipstick That Enhances Your Natural Lip Color. As we age, our lips become thinner. Skip ultra-dark hues because it will make your lips appear thinner.
Get a shade or two darker than your natural lip color. Remember lighter shades will make your lips look fuller and younger but don’t go too pale so you won’t look washed out.
Also, it’s better to use satin or creamy long wear lipstick instead of matte, to make your lips appear plumper.
Conclusion – Our List of Must-Have Makeup to Look Younger
There are a lot of products and brands which give the promise of helping you look younger. You might end up looking older trying to find which ones really deliver the goods! We’ve taken the next step by removing the guesswork. Trying to look younger naturally should not be so stressful.
Here is our list of the best makeup products for turning back the years:
- Bobbi Brown Skin Foundation Stick. This creamy and ultra-lightweight suits mature skin. Formulated with Smart Technology that adjusts to the needs of one’s skin – moisturizes or controls oil. It feels like second skin and provides sheer to full coverage.
- NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer. This award-winning concealer is excellent in hiding dark circles, age spots and blemishes.
- Dior Diorshow Lash-Extension Effect Volume mascara. Say hello to fluffy lashes with this amazing mascara enriched with microfiber formulation.
- Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eyeliner. The ultra-fine tip allows you to line your lids thinly.
- Dior Diorshow Brow Styler. This fine tipped pencil allows you to fill in the gaps without the risk of looking overdrawn.
- Eyeko Tinted Brow Gel. Groom your brows without hassle. This brow gel leaves a natural finish and is also formulated with extracts that condition your brows.
- Gabriel Blush. This all natural pressed blush will give make your skin looked flushed in a healthy radiant way. We love the apricot shade.
- L’Oreal Paris Infallible Pro Matte Gloss. The finish is not dry at all. Surprisingly it’s creamy and lightweight. They have a beautiful selection of colors that suit mature women.
Aging is a beautiful process that we must all embrace. Women who have no qualms with numbers are the ones who beam naturally. Remember, no amount of makeup can mask lack of confidence, so it has to start from inside because that’s where true beauty lies.
Love and accept your age. You must come to terms with reality first – wrinkles, age marks and fine lines, before you immerse yourself in different beauty routines. This way you could truly have fun with makeup.