How to Remove Shellac Nail Polish
Shellac nail polish lasts longer than traditional nail polish. The color can stay on your nails for up to 2 weeks or more. If you want to change your shellac nail polish color, you can remove it anytime you want. It’s not as hard as the salons would like you to think. You can find a handy shellac remover in your home. You can start to remove them on your own by following these instructions.
There are 2 methods in removing shellac nail polish
The first method is called soaking.
- First, apply a layer of cuticle oil to prevent your nails from getting too dry. It is essential because you will need a protective layer when you remove your shellac nail polish.
- Fill a wide shallow bowl with acetone. If you use a nail polish remover which contains little or no acetone at all, it will not remove any of your shellac nail polish. The acetone concentration should be around 60 per cent. Pure acetone will damage your nails and will make your skin extremely dry.
- Dip your nails on the bowl with the acetone. Make sure to expose as little skin as possible because the acetone can dehydrate your skin. Stay soaked for about 10 minutes. Even if you see several nail polishes flaking before 10 minutes, keep your fingers soaked.
- You can remove your nails after 10 minutes and you can scrape the remaining shellac off your nails. Be gentle and patient in scraping your nails so that you won’t hurt them.
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and running water. Make sure to remove the acetone completely after you scrape off all the shellac nail polish on your nails.
You will need the following to remove your shellac nail polish using this method: scissors, cuticle stick, kitchen foil, cotton pads, pure acetone, conditioning oil for cuticle and nails, and scotch tape.
- Cut the foil and make it twice as long as your fingertip. Fold it into half, lengthwise. Make sure that the shiny part is facing the inside of the fold. Make a 3-inches cut on each of them. Repeat for the next 10 foils.
- Next, take out your cotton pads. Fold each of them in half and cut them. Make 10 of these.
- Put acetone on each of your cotton pad. Next, put the cotton pad on your finger and wrap the foil securely around it. Make sure that the pad touches your finger or else the shellac will not be removed. Another function of the foil is that it can prevent the evaporation of acetone. It makes the acetone stay on the cotton pad longer.
- Remove the foil after 10 minutes or more. Gently rub the cotton pad on your nail. Next, use a cuticle stick to scrape the shellac nail polish off your nails. The shellac should be easily removed.
- The final step should be applying cuticle oil. It is essential in making your nails healthy. After using a lot of acetone your nails will become dry. The oil will keep your nails moisturized.
It is important to remove the foil and the cotton pad after 10mins. If you remove them longer than 10 minutes, the acetone evaporates and the shellac nail polish tends to come back on your nails. The role of the acetone is only to soften the shellac nail polish so that you can easily remove it.